Understanding Respite Care
Senior respite care allows caregivers to rest by providing temporary care for elderly family members who need constant attention. Allowing someone else to take over care responsibilities for a short amount of time – whether a few hours or a few days – can be beneficial to both the caregiver and the care receiver.
There are many reasons why one would opt for Respite care.
- As a trial run while considering permanent residential or live-in care.
- To provide convalescent care, i.e, nursing care provided after surgeries or sickness.
- If the primary care provider becomes unwell or is called away unexpectedly, this is a reliable emergency service.
What Are Your Options for Respite Care for the Elderly?
The best respite care option for you or your loved one may depend on your own circumstances. Here are some of the most common types of respite care we offer and who could benefit from them.
These facilities not only care for the elderly whose caregivers must work outside the house, but also meet their social requirements. Adult daycare includes lunch, snacks, and a variety of activities. Elderly respite care is ideal for caregivers who need a day off from caring or who need a personal errand break. It also helps the elderly meet new individuals.
Home Health Care Experts
In-home caregivers can enable family members to provide respite care for the elderly while they are gone. Skilled in-home carers are offered on an as-needed or scheduled basis. Home respite care is an option for caregivers who work outside the home and do not want to leave their elderly loved ones alone.
Residential Respite Care
Some senior living facilities offer overnight care. Some long-term care facilities provide allocated beds for short-term stays. This option may help caregivers who need to travel but want to ensure their loved one is always supported. Not all residential care facilities offer respite care, so plan ahead of time.
What Services Do We Offer?
Respite care services for the elderly can be tailored to each client’s needs. Whether a senior needs assistance with medication or just companionship, respite care workers can help. We provide services such as:
- Assistance with daily activities
- Medical care, including wound care or prescription assistance with trained professionals
- Transportation to and from medical care centers
- Household chores like laundry, grocery shopping, and basic cleaning
- Providing prepared meals
What Costs Can You Expect?
Various forms of respite have varying costs. There is a nationwide average cost of $25 per hour for in-home respite care from a professional caregiver. Unless the patient is also getting hospice services, most respite programs are not covered by Medicare or private insurance policies. Some seniors and their families may be eligible for financial aid in order to cover the costs of respite care. Common options we accept include:
- Life Insurance
- Veterans Benefits
- Long-Term Care Insurance
What Must You Look For in a Respite Care?
Keep in mind the following when searching for a provider:
- Check to see if your loved one’s respite caregiver has the proper training, licenses, and certifications, as well as if they are up to date.
- Get a list of references from families or facilities that the provider has previously worked with.
- If you decide to engage with an agency, inquire about their screening and evaluation procedures.
- An interviewer’s responses may indicate how simple or difficult it will be to work with them. Look for a caregiver that is reliable, prompt, and clear about the services they will deliver.
Get the Home Care Needed
Once you’ve made the choice to get help, reach out to us at All American Home Care. Tell us your concerns, and our team will customize a plan for your benefit. We’ll arrange a no-cost consultation in your home so you can discuss your care alternatives with us.
You can voice your preferences for a caregiver at this point, and we will do our best to accommodate them. We’ll collaborate with you to select a caregiver that can work with your schedule while also respecting your privacy and dignity.
Respite Care Agency Offices in Philadelphia PA
332 Bustleton Pike, Feasterville , PA 19053
3231 N 2nd Street, Philadelphia , PA 19140
144 North 7th Street, Allentown, PA 18101
P: 610-820-0500 F: 610-820-0501
All American Home Care » Respite Care Philadelphia